A PLACE TO SHARE MY DREAMS AND INSPIRE SOME OF YOUR OWN!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pounding the Pavement

I know a lot of you are wearing the same shoes as I right now..
well I could write a WHOLE book on the interviewing process.. the trials and tribulations of graduating from college, and finding yourself- jobless.
WELL... one year later, I remain without a full time job. Sure I have found plenty of side gigs, and kept myself busy enough, but we all crave doing something BIGGER, and being fulfilled.
ANYHOW- I sometime down the line will share with you funny stories of my job hunt, like when my tights were too small and rolled down my leg at the law firm.. but for now, let me just tell you about TODAY...
I go to this temp firm.. a highly reputable one, in a beautiful office in Century City, overlooking LA country club, and the whole city.. I think to myself, finally, maybe this is the ticket. LETS JUMP AHEAD..



I get into the women who is a "recruiter"'s office..2 minutes in she tells me I should stick to what I know and take my "All-American" status and start swim teams in LA. IS SHE KIDDING? I AM THERE FOR A REASON, I WANT A CORPORATE JOB! long story short.. after she talks about water polo and swimming for ten minutes and my strong personality (she was nice enough, just obviously didn't see anything in me) she has her assistant (YES THESE PEOPLE HAVE ASSISTANTS.. I MEAN, REALLY?) set me up to take TESTS!!!
THEN I HAVE TO SIT THERE, and take a powerpoint exam, a word exam, excel.. typing.. ETC. ETC. ETC. it was mortifying and awful. DON'T FORGET THEY TELL YOU YOUR RESULTS RIGHT ON THE SPOT. "below the global average" it tells me for powerpoint, WELL GREAT.. I AM SO GLAD I AM BELOW THE GLOBAL AVERAGE,  especially considering most of the GLOBAL population is illiterate, that was a real ego booster. 


so.. anyhow, I was obviously watching the cliental, everyone was either caucasian or asian, everyone was dressed well, everyone looked at least 22 ranging thru their 40's.. Gucci bags, perfectly tailored suits, Louboutins, I mean.. I am trying to make myself feel better here that she told me to teach swim lessons, but honestly- BELOW THE GLOBAL AVERAGE keeps ringing in my mind..
I KNOW MY GRAMMAR ON THIS DARN BLOG IS DEFINITELY BELOW THE GLOBAL AVERAGE, but that is by choice.. it is raw and real- I type as I think, AND I refuse to go back and edit.

Let me just say, today left me bitter, belittled, and bugged.

A COMPANY SHOULD BE LUCKY I WANT TO ANSWER THEIR PHONES.. AND I DO, I mean... come on. BELOW THE GLOBAL AVERAGE.

I want to have a group of friends all take those dang tests, we are all college educated,.. it was unreal. Below the global average mind you was 23 out of 30 questions CORRECT on powerpoint, I kind of was impressed with myself.  UGH!!

well I had this thought still, I was listening to a country song on my way home on the country station..

It's a crazy town - full of neon dreams.
Everybody plays - everybody sings.
Hollywood witha touch of twang - to be a star you gotta bang-bang-bang.
Bend those strings till the Hank comes out.
Make all the drunk girls scream and shout.
We love it - we hate it - we're all just trying to make it.
In this crazy town



THANK YOU JASON ALDEAN, for helping me remember.. THIS IS A CRAZY TOWN, I GOTTA KEEP BANGING ON DOORS, "WE LOVE IT, WE HATE IT, WE'RE ALL JUST TRYING TO MAKE IT. IN THIS CRAZY TOWN!" 


so, here is to you and to me, for keeping on dreaming.. keep pounding the pavement, SOMETHING IS BOUND TO HAPPEN! 

1 comment:

  1. ahahahaa love this post!!! Below global average!! you are on of the fastest typers I know!! I remember in HS we were in the library and you were looking at me with frustration as I slowly typed. Finally, you told me to move get up and read you my assignment as you quickly typed the rest of it!

    DEF BANG BANG BANG!

    ReplyDelete