A PLACE TO SHARE MY DREAMS AND INSPIRE SOME OF YOUR OWN!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

everyone has to start at the bottom of the staircase..

people always say, you have to laugh- and without laughter... some believe, you have nothing.

Well, here is a real case of something funny being true and thought provoking. 
Last May- I graduated from Chapman University, (where I transferred to, from the University of Hawaii). To say the least, both experiences, were great ones. Let me cut to the chase for you..
MY FATHER FELL DOWN A HUGE STAIRCASE LEADING TO THE PARKING STRUCTURE FROM THE CENTER OF CAMPUS... now you may be gasping, going, O MAN where is this story leading us.. BUT if you knew my father, you would most likely be laughing. A 6'6 man who has two left feet. Can you imagine the coaches that were probably knocking on his door in his youth.. little did they know.. he falls down staircases and heck he even has been known to fall off of curbs. 
Well, long story short (or maybe its still kind of long) the school or maybe a donation, I am not quite sure which, I think just the school paid homage, and named the staircase after him.. 
 The B.W Cook Stairway To Success, 
that is such an interesting name. I cannot help but laugh. Yet, now I think..that is so true, do YOU ever stop to think of your journeys, how many of times we have to CLIMB OUR WAY UP? sometimes even falling in the process? Or how about the fact that the staircase leads us right up to the school, on our way to class, we lock our cars and leave the rest of the world outside as we exist that parking structure, and we climb up the staircase to success and enter a world of academia. A world where we are surrounded by others seeking knowledge and information. A world where people of all different backgrounds join to discuss discourse. I would say, the humor I get from the name of the staircase because of the situation takes a backseat to the reality of the situation.. THAT STAIRCASE REALLY CAN LEAD TO SUCCESS, and I am sure it has and it will for generations and generations. The underlying message is, a University, or any kind of Education is leading YOU to succeed. The more we learn, the more we start to dream.. 

SO THANK YOU DAD (and Mom), for allowing me (and funding me) to take the STAIRWAY TO SUCCESS, thru education.. life experience.. and ultimately LAUGHTER!



1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to go look for your dad's sign! That is amazing!!

    Keep writing! you are awesome!

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete