A PLACE TO SHARE MY DREAMS AND INSPIRE SOME OF YOUR OWN!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

hodge podge of cinco de mayo thoughts.











first of all:





HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO, even though I find that a complete waste of well-wishes. I would rather just say I HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT DAY! because..CINCO DE MAYO ISN'T EVEN CELEBRATED IN MEXICO REALLY! well well, facebook status's galore of CINCO DE DRINKO!!... uhmm... a couple years ago, aka- college, I might have understood the mere excitement to get blacked out for the celebration of Mexico defeating the French. Today, in our mid-twenties and then some.. these status's just blow my mind! ANY EXCUSE TO PARTY!! but, I do love holidays, so maybe I am just a bitter betty. OLE! sooo, that was a total rant. AND, I bet most of you even agreed and just wont admit it.

things I watched on TV today (stop judging, it is better than going out and spending money)
DVR'd Oprah... The Bush ladies were on, for not being an Oprah fan, I sure had a lot of tears flowing down my face. I really, really thought it was quality programming. The former first lady was delightful, honest, and candid. The twins were funny, emotional and raw. They were so neutral and positive about all things Obama. The first lady discussed the respect we should have for the office regardless of who is in it, AND I COULDN'T AGREE MORE.. PREACH IT SISTER! We got a tour of the Crawford Ranch.. stories from her memoir, a glimpse into their relationships.. I have a soft spot for Texas I think. My first week in college a professor once told me "you should move to Texas or don't talk". Obviously I have matured a great deal since then, not only can I sensor myself, A LITTLE, but my ideas and views have broadened. That is what was so great about this Oprah, Oprah was Obama's number 1 supporter, yet this really was crossing the line... 
 

next thing I watched, 

a clip of Lea Michelle on Ellen. AKA- I am officially a GLEEK! Anyone who goes to the Grove to try to watch the premiere of the new season before its out, and is willing to fight a crowd, is pretty much a GLEEK! I have watched the first season DVD's.. 3 times thru! (the you tube link to a great Glee moment, Mercedes sings the song from dreamgirls!)


and then I watched Spike Lee's episode of"who do you think you are". Do y'all watch that? It truly is well done.. and the message, so great. They have done 7 celebrities, Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick, Lisa Kudrow, Susan Sarandan (WHO I ALMOST RAN OVER ON WILSHIRE THE OTHER DAY.. DO NOT TEXT AN DRIVE!) Brooke Shields, etc etc. They are all pretty fascinating.. BUT LET ME ASK YOU-
WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? obviously your ancestry does not define WHO YOU ARE, but is it a part of how you got there. It also is so important for us to each know our pasts. 
On Alex and my honeymoon we met these ladies on a cruise ship. YES, old jewish grandmas! We talked to them throughout the whole voyage about different things,.. life. One evening we sat and talked to one in particular for hours. Really, hours. She told us she wrote a book about her family history, and it is in the library of congress for her children and grandchildren to always see and add to. She was a Greek/Turkish JEW. Did you even know those existed? I DON'T THINK I DID. Her stories were fascinating, but the passion behind them, with emotion and pride of who she is and how she got to where she is, was the best part. You cannot deny the instant bond you feel when you know you have personal connection to a place, person, or even an object. When you travel to a land where you know you had family, when you eat a type of food, or smell a scent that reminds you of something.. YOU ARE INSPIRED. NOSTALGIC THINGS ARE A PART OF WHO WE ARE, positive memories, negative memories, they all are important.. they all are knowledge and they all help us to DREAM! 

so keep dreaming.. and find out "WHO YOU ARE" 

 
This is one of my favorite pictures from my wedding. In the photo booth, my Mommies daddy and his brother. (I thought it fit the theme of the entry!)


ps- I still have to watch American Idol tonight, YES I STILL WATCH IT. The talent is mediocre, I know. I don't care wether you like him or not, there just is no talent like Adam Lambert.. Idol, you were so lucky to have him on your stage!

and a quick DINNER sidenote- tonight I made tri-top (sometimes @ Ralphs they put the Tri-Tip on special, and it really really is a great deal.. LOOK FOR IT!) marinated with teriyaki, soy, ginger, and sesame seed glaze. Brown rice (WHICH... PAY ATTENTION NOW, you buy at costco.. and it is fully cooked and so healthy, YOU JUST MICROWAVE IT! I say throw on some light margarine and lightly salt it, and it is soooo good, cheap, and EASY!) and a salad with my favorite raisins, pea pods,and feta!

and of course.. earlier today, the husband was not feeling too well, so... of course, like any good wife I made a pot of Matzah Ball soup. You cannot go wrong. I will tell you this though, I think I will always remain a Manischewitz enthusiast, Streits just is not the same. YES I MADE IT OUT OF THE BOX.. learn from Sandra Lee, semi-homemade is the way to go, I add some extra chicken stock and seasonings, slice up some carrots and celery, a little seasoning.. made with love! (sometime I throw in chicken) YOU SHOULD ALL TAKE NOTE, shiksa goddesses and yentas alike, MATZAH BALL SOUP- NEVER FAILS!!






No comments:

Post a Comment