A PLACE TO SHARE MY DREAMS AND INSPIRE SOME OF YOUR OWN!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Diversify!

I applaud anyone and everyone who breaks the mold, dares to be bold and steps outside of their boundaries. ALWAYS. I say no matter where you come, there is always a norm for your families surroundings and lifestyles.. I SAY BREAK IT, don't have only one type of friend who thinks one way, looks one way, and acts one way... BRANCH IT OUT, WALK IN DIFFERENT WALKS OF LIFE... AND LIVE A LITTLE...

Do you have friends who are from different cities, countries, and socio-economic backgrounds? YOU SHOULD. GO MAKE SOME.
Do you have friends who have different religions and beliefs? I HOPE SO.

MORE IMPORTANTLY... do you talk to them? encourage them? get motivated by them? TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR REALITIES AND PERSPECTIVES!!

Anyways, I often think about all my different friends... sure we have lots of common ground, and let's be honest.. mine are not polar-extremes, but they are different enough. It comes easy to me because I have different interests that afford me to meet different people... for example, I have water polo friends, I went to college in Hawaii so I have friends that also chose to go to school there (which is different then the norm), I have friends from childhood, friends from religious affiliation, friends from studying abroad, work, family, fashion, political affiliation... ETC..
maybe the key is putting in effort to keep in touch? to reach out to people? that's a thought.. not via facebook.. even an e-mail is so much more personal!

I guess where I am leading is, I went to a friends art-show this weekend and it got me thinking about this topic... She is from Newport, has similar lifestyle, surroundings, did the same activities when we were 5 years old, aka- swim team at the bay club, sewing class, soccer, etc. etc. She ended up at USC, where my mother, father, brother, sister went, and she has a similar affiliation... BUT..I HAVE TO PUMP THE BREAKS AND APPLAUD HER, because like I strive to find in others and am even may I say attracted to in others, IS THE ABILITY TO BE DIFFERENT WHILE REMAINING THE SAME..

SHE BROKE THE MOLD, yes she may know the same people, have some of the same ideas based on our cultural upbringings, BUT.. she has a big girl job and still manages to hold down an incredible art show.. WELL HATS-OFF, that is the kind of stuff that makes me go, gosh this person is cool... they are doing something so unique, so them, all while managing to remain in the "bubble" if you will, and judge me as you will BUT,
YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO MANAGE BOTH, I am a believer in some forms of "fitting in" in order to exist and be in a society that you so chose,... aka- she makes good money and still appreciates the things that we all do, and we all wish to stay accustomed to a lifestyle, you don't have to be a starving artist on the streets, to be an artist..

(work by; Karlin Meehan)



so I guess all I am saying is, be passionate about those natural innate feelings that exist within you, all while trying to be a better member of the society you came from or chose to belong to.. WE CAN BE BOTH. AND WE SHOULD.  Just because you are passionate about art, clothing, the gym, baking, food, doesn't mean you are selling out by working in finance, we can do both... keep your mind involved in multiple things..
I am genuinely so impressed by what everyone in my life has been doing with themselves.. starting companies, getting higher educations, being in stable relationships, working hard regardless of "dream job" status, everyone seems to be thriving and coming into their own.. I am so proud and inspired, I can only DREAM of what is to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment