A PLACE TO SHARE MY DREAMS AND INSPIRE SOME OF YOUR OWN!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Moral Dilemma.

Ok.. so here is a personal minor moral dilemma I am facing:

this weekend is Yom Kippur. (quick breakdown: the day of atonement on the Jewish calendar, which is ultimately the highest of holy day on the book. For the ten days prior, the days in-between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur jews repent for their sins of the year, asking for forgiveness to those they have wronged, working to fix the things they have done, and praying and repenting to be added into the book of life on Yom Kippur. For lack of an better way to put it... it is important, and most jews, if they never step foot in a temple all year... go on Yom Kippur. TAKE EVERY SUNDAY THAT YOU CONFESS IN A CATHOLIC CHURCH AND PLACE IT INTO ONE DAY!) anyways.. my family has a huge break fast at the country club after sundown... you fast from sundown to sundown.. 24 hrs essentially,... and so, here goes....
aside from being Yom Kippur, it is a dear friend from childhood throughout lifes bachelorette party.. and another dear friends birthday. Well, birthdays come every year, so we can knock out the guilt on that one.

so.. bachelorette party V. Yom Kippur

at first, it was an absolute no way. how could I be at a bachelorette party on the day of atonement? it just seemed so far-fetched and beyond that I didn't even think twice about the fact I just simply could not attend....

Now time has gone on.. and maybe the feelings of missing out have kicked in, and I am leaning towards the words of many friends that...

miss Yom Kippur just this once, a wedding is a one time thing, this is a best friend since youth,... etc. etc. etc.

NOW.. different people give me different advice, but the only one I have to answer to at the end of the day is really my own conscious, this goes for everyone.. whenever we are faced with a difficult decision, we should weigh the options, and decide which will upset us the least in the end.. not which decision will make us happiest, but which will upset us the least... and so..  I do not have an answer for this one..

my father of course says to me: the elderly members of our family are getting older and there are not going to be many more yom kippurs left with them...
to which I rationalize by the fact that although this may be true, and heartbreaking, I put in a great deal of effort to enjoy my time with them not just on a holiday but on a everyday basis, which is more important... so that my father's words may ring true, but do not sway me that deeply,...

anyhow, I think this is where we define our character.. of course I identify as a Jewish person, and a sort of religious one at that, but does that mean that if I miss a Saturday meal of break-fast and attend a best friends celebration of marriage (did I mention she is mormon therefor we are not drinking at this bachelorette which makes me feel like its not so sac-religious... and I will be at temple friday night as well)... where was I? oh ya... does it make me less of a jew or a moral person to be at a bachelorette on Yom Kippur.. and my answer is no.
IT IS THE WAY WE ACT ON A REGULAR BASIS. Not on one day. and no one should be able to judge me based on a decision of ONE DAY when I try to act righteously and be family/religiously oriented on the rest of the days.... this is who I am, my friends are important to me, and I should be there for a friend... as she was for me during my special time....


so moral dilemma over: no matter my decision, which is the bachelorette, I am no less of a moral person...



ps- my back is out currently, so I may not be going anywhere this weekend ;). HA. the irony.


HATE TO ADMIT IT: BUT...


DREAMING OF WEDNESDAY NIGHT, ADAM LAMBERT IN SEATTLE!! WOOT WOOT!!


and here were some wise words from my grandma when we talked about this situation:
"it is important to learn to make decisions dear. This is not a life or death decision, and you have to do whatever is best for you. Make the decision that you can live with."

No comments:

Post a Comment